- The Russian army entered Ukrainian territory exactly three weeks ago, and after advancing on several fronts, the lines have stabilizedThursday, March 17th.
- The Ukrainian authorities claimed that Russia on Wednesday destroyed the Drama Theater in Mariupol, where more than a thousand people had sought refuge, including many children. The bomb shelter, which the civilians were in, was not destroyed, according to two Ukrainian MPs, who add that the majority of the people who were refugees there are fine.
- Deadly Russian military attacks continued throughout Ukraine. The waste of a missile shot down above Kiev Thursday resulted in the death of at least one person, leaving three wounded. Russian troops are still trying to surround the capital and have stepped up bombings on residential areas since the beginning of the week, killing at least six people.
- Despite the Russian bombings and fighting, Negotiations between Kiev and Moscow continued, Wednesday. Several Russian officials have hovered the idea that Ukraine’s neutrality, modeled on Sweden or Austria, could be a compromise – which Kiev rejected as it would not bring benefits. “absolute security guarantees” to his country in case of attack.
- Volodymyr Zelensky receives a standing ovation from the Bundestag. The President of Ukraine called on Germany to tear down the new “wall” in Europe against freedom since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. He lamented the close economic ties created in recent years between Berlin and Moscow, especially in terms of energy. These projects led by Germany and Russia, “it was the cement for the new wall”. He recalled Germany’s hesitation when it came to imposing some of the harshest sanctions on Russia for fear it would harm the German economy.
- Russia says it has honored a $ 117 million claim. This first tranche of interest linked to bonds of $ 117 million (106 million euros) has been paid, the Russian Ministry of Finance announced. The deadline for payment was March 16 and was overlooked by Russia, raising fears of an early default. This was the first deadline in a series, the others of which are expected in March and April.
- Joe Biden said on Wednesday about the president of the Russian Federation, Vladimir Putin that he was a “war criminal”. The President of the United States has confirmed the deployment of $ 800 million (equivalent to 725 million euros) in additional military aid to Ukraine. Earlier, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky had challenged him to ask him to establish a no-fly zone over his country. Sir. Biden believes such a move would be too much of an escalation.
- almost 700 civilians were killed since the start of the war, and more than 1,110 others have been injured, according to the UN. As these figures are very difficult to verify, especially when fighting or bombing is still taking place on the ground, the UN insists that its daily reports are likely to be much lower than reality.
Read all our articles, analyzes and reports on the war in Ukraine:
March 16 Live can be found here.
Report. Today, Mariupol is an open hell
To analyze. Russia is taking the first step towards default
Your questions. “World” answers to your most frequently asked questions
History. Asked by Volodymyr Zelensky, Joe Biden increases military support for Kiev
The story of a concept. Siege war, a weapon to terrorize civilians
Chronic. “Countries considering dropping out of the Western alliance may tend to hold fewer reserves”