War in Ukraine: a “colossal attack” in Chernihiv, Izyum cut off from the world … update on the 35th match day

Despite Russian statements to ease the pressure on the cities of Kiev and Chernihiv, the time to start real negotiations in Turkey, bombings have been recorded there. This reinforces Ukrainian skepticism and warnings, especially American ones.

Meanwhile, three humanitarian corridors were to make it possible to evacuate in particular civilians from Mariupol, the city in the south of the country, under Russian shelling since February 26, two days after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Cities bombed despite Russian commitments

Vadym Denysenko, adviser to the Ukrainian Interior Minister, said “several” rockets had been fired during the night against Kiev, the Ukrainian capital, which Russia has failed to reduce since February 24. Heavy artillery and rocket fire were heard overnight, the CNN team in Kiev said.

Night shelling also took place in Chernihiv and the Khmelnytsky region. There was “no siren-free zone” overnight in Ukraine, the adviser summed up. Viatcheslav Tchaous, the governor of the Chernihiv region, confirmed that civilian infrastructure had been destroyed and that the city is still without water or electricity. On CNN, the mayor of Chernihiv claimed that his city was under a “colossal attack”. “They actually increased the intensity of the attacks,” Vladyslav Atroshenko said, referring to a single attack in the center that allegedly wounded 25 civilians. According to him, the approximately 100,000 people trapped in the city have enough food and medical supplies to last a week.

Kharkiv under grapeshot

Since the early hours of Wednesday night, Russian forces have shelled Kharkiv Oblast 180 times with several Grad-type rocket launchers, according to Governor Oleh Synehubov. Over the past 24 hours, Russian occupiers have also bombarded the oblast with artillery and mortars, damaged residential buildings and civilian infrastructure. So far, no civilian casualties have been reported.

A strategic highway recaptured from the Russians

The Ukrainian army has regained control of a strategic highway connecting Kharkiv with Chuguiv in eastern Ukraine, AFP reporters said on Wednesday. “The road was under fire from Russian forces, which killed civilians there. We pushed them back about ten kilometers further north, “a commander of the 92nd Brigade of the Ukrainian Army told them on the spot.

The M03 connects Kharkiv, Ukraine’s second largest city, with Chuguyv, a city of 30,000 inhabitants located 50 km to the southeast. The two cities have been heavily bombarded by the Russian army for more than a month without falling into the hands of Moscow forces.

A few kilometers from the eastern outskirts of Kharkiv, corpses of bullet-filled vehicles lay over this four-lane highway, and the body of a Russian soldier lay on its side. The situation was calm this Wednesday morning: an excavator started clearing work while a man from the neighboring village came to salvage his car where we could see the bullet holes.

A bombed out Red Cross office in Mariupol?

“Residents deliberately bombed an ICRC building in Mariupol,” wrote on Telegram Lioudmyla Denisova, responsible for human rights in the Ukrainian parliament. “Enemy aircraft and artillery shelled the building, marked with a red cross on a white background, corresponding to the presence of wounded, civilian or humanitarian material,” she continued, adding a slide show of a building marked with a red cross on the roof. “At the moment we have no information about the victims,” ​​she said without specifying how many people might have been in the building at the time of the shooting.

Like many other information, this can unfortunately not be verified independently, as Mariupol has been under siege for several days.

Izyum cut off from the world for days

A deputy mayor of Izyum said the city, a strategic railway hub, had not received humanitarian aid since March 14. Without water or medicine, the situation will get “worse day by day,” he said.

The death toll in Mykolaiv is deteriorating

The Russian attacks on the regional military governor’s office in Mykolaiv on Tuesday left fifteen dead, according to a new report updated at. The 63 rescuers who worked at the site rescued the bodies of 14 people killed. A fifteenth succumbed to his injuries at the hospital. 33 people were also injured.

Rescuers are working on foot with backhoes and a crane to search the rubble for other victims. Via REUTERS

Three humanitarian corridors were negotiated on Wednesday

Ukraine and Russia have agreed on three evacuation corridors, Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk announced. A first to go from Mariupol to Berdyansk and provide humanitarian aid to the devastated city, a route for the provision of humanitarian aid to Melitopol and evacuation of this city, and another from Enerhodar to Zaporizhia. “Convoys of buses and trucks with humanitarian aid have already left Zaporizhia,” she said. “We ask the occupying forces to respect their obligations and allow the humanitarian columns to pass the checkpoints.”

Leave a Comment